Post address: ACU Box 27892, Abilene, Texas 79699
Office: Don Morris 316
- B.S. in journalism, Abilene Christian University, 2002
- M.A. in mass communications, University of South Florida, 2005
- Ph.D. in mass communication, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2010
- Associate professor of journalism and mass communication, Abilene Christian University, 2013-present
- Courses taught include Introduction to Visual Media, Writing for Electronic Delivery, Electronic Media Principles, Publication Design, and Electronic Publishing.
- Assistant professor of electronic media and communications, Texas Tech University, 2009-2013
- Courses taught include Electronic Media and Society, Principles of Digital Media Production, Writing for Electronic Media, Electronic Media Operations, and Web Design and Interaction.
- Assistant director, ASNE High School Journalism Institute, Tampa, Fla., 2005-2006.
- Copy editor, The Tampa Tribune, Tampa, Fla., 2002-2004
- Dow Jones editing intern, The Tennessean, Nashville, Tenn., 2001
- Reporting intern, The Washington Times, Washington, D.C., 2000
- Editor, Optimist, Abilene Christian University, 2000-2002
- Bobkowski, P., & Smith, J. (2013). Social media divide: Characteristics of emerging adults who do not use social networking websites. Media, Culture & Society 35(6), 771-781. Available at http://mcs.sagepub.com/content/35/6/771.
- Smith, J.E., & Tirumala, L. (2012). Twitter’s effects on student learning and social presence perceptions. Teaching Journalism and Mass Communication, 2(1), 21-31. Available at http://aejmc.net/spig/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/tjmc-s12-res-smith.pdf.