Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in History with Teacher Certification (8-12)
Admission Requirements for the Teacher Education Program
Before taking more than 6 hours of any combination of EACH, EDUC, READ or SPED courses, students must be admitted to the Teacher Education Program. Admission requirements are:
- Have health and physical clearance from the university doctor or nurse;
- Complete 60 or more approved hours;
- Have approval by the dean of students;
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.70;
- Successfully pass all sections of the TASP with a score of 260 or higher on the reading section;
- Complete a test on critical thinking skills with a satisfactory score;
- Complete and submit an application for admission to the Teacher Education Admissions Committee;
- Have a grade of C or above in 9 hours of English;
- Submit satisfactory recommendations from 3 faculty members;
- Complete an interview with the Teacher Education Admissions Committee;
- Receive approval of the Teacher Education Admissions Committee.
Departmental requirements for the BS History for Teachers (8-12) are as follows:
- HIST 117 Civilization I 3
- HIST 118 Civilization II 3
- HIST 221 American History I (3)1
- HIST 222 American History II 3
- HIST 480 Texas History 3
- HIST 496 History for Teachers 3
- 18 hours of advanced history evenly distributed between U.S.history, European history, and non-European world cultures;must include one writing-intensive course 18
- ECON 260 Principles of Macroeconomics 3
- POLS 226 States and Federal System (3)1
- SOCI 442 Cultural Diversity 3
Teacher Certification Requirements
To be certified to teach, students must complete the following additional courses and requirements:
- Technology, 3 hours: TECH 210.
- Reading, 3 hours: READ 322.
- Professional education, 18 hours: EDUC 211, 321, 412, 432, 499.
- Special education, 3 hours: Special education course.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.70.