Social Studies for Teachers Grades 8-12 (BS)
Admission Requirements for the Teacher Education Program
Before taking more than 6 hours of any combination of EACH, EDUC, READ or SPED courses, students must be admitted to the Teacher Education Program. Admission requirements are:
- Have health and physical clearance from the university doctor or nurse;
- Complete 60 or more approved hours;
- Have approval by the dean of students;
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.70;
- Successfully pass all sections of the TASP with a score of 260 or higher on the reading section;
- Complete a test on critical thinking skills with a satisfactory score;
- Complete and submit an application for admission to the Teacher Education Admissions Committee;
- Have a grade of C or above in 9 hours of English;
- Submit satisfactory recommendations from 3 faculty members;
- Complete an interview with the Teacher Education Admissions Committee;
- Receive approval of the Teacher Education Admissions Committee.
Departmental requirements for the BS social studies for teachers (8-12) are as follows:
- History, 18 hours: HIST 117, 118, 404 or 405, 472 or 474, 480, 496.
- Geography, 6 hours: GEOG 235, 254.
- Economics, 3 hours: ECON 261.
- Political Science, 15 hours: POLS 226, 381, 384 or 432, 483, 491 or 492.
- English, 3 hours (must continue the sequence chosen for the University Core): ENGL 222, 232 or 263.
Teacher Certification Requirements
To be certified to teach, students must complete the following additional courses and requirements:
- Technology, 3 hours: TECH 210.
- Reading, 3 hours: READ 322.
- Professional education, 18 hours: EDUC 211, 321, 412, 432, 499.
- Special education, 3 hours: Special education course.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.70.