Careers in History
A degree in history can lay the foundation for a number of attractive careers, including these:
- College Teaching - This is one of the most desirable careers for history majors. For those who go on to a master's degree, openings may be available in junior colleges. Senior college positions may be available to those who attain a Ph.D.
- Government Service - Careers for historians exist in local, state and federal governments.
- Graduate Studies - History is an exceptionally good area for preparation for graduate studies in fields which require broad, liberal arts education at the undergraduate level.
- Journalism - History is splendid preparation for students who seek graduate study and careers in journalism.
- Law - History is one of several fields especially suitable as pre-law education.
- Museums, Archives and Libraries - The creation of special documents collections, presidential libraries, research centers and historical society museums has increased opportunities for persons with history training. Additional technical training may be required.
- High School Teaching - Teaching history or social studies in high schools requires state certification. Certification may be obtained by completing the Bachelor of Science degree in History for Teacher Certification (Grades 8-12) or the Bachelor of Science degree in Social Studies for Teacher Certification (Grades 8-12).
A degree in International Studies gives graduates the flexibility to pursue a number of fascinating internship and career opportunities. Below are some very general ideas to get you started; See additional resources to help you find specific opportunities.
- Non-profit or non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
International Rescue Committee, Doctors Without Borders, MEDAIR
- Foreign policy centers and think tanks
Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), Council on Foreign Relations
- Multinational corporations (e.g. marketing, media)
FIFA, Aston Martin
- United Nations and other international governmental organizations
NATO, United Nations
- Local, state, or national government
OPM, Officer of the Governor
- National intelligence and defense (e.g. Central Intelligence Agency, military)
- International diplomacy and foreign service
International Organization Careers, State Department, Peace Corps
- International health organizations
International Red Cross, World Health Organization
- Tourism and travel specialists (e.g. travel agent, tour guide, study abroad advisor)
Study Abroad Job Opportunities
- Teaching English in a foreign country