- Pre-Med Program Application
- HPAC Forms
- Body & Soul Program
- Health Profession's Advisory Committee
- Chiropractic Medicine
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Physician Assistant
- Podiatric Medicine
- Contact Us
Pre-Physician Assistant Preparation at ACU
- Physician assistants, frequently called PAs, have a broad scope of duties and responsibilities, largely governed by the medical setting in which they work. PAs are regulated by the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners and work under the supervision of physicians. Texas requires that the PA’s supervising physician register with the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners and that the PAs be licensed.
- Duties of the PAs working under a primary care physician include: performing appropriate interviews and physical examinations; ordering and screening results of laboratory diagnostic studies; organizing and integrating information derived from interview, examination and laboratory; assisting with the performance of clinical procedures; instructing and counseling patients regarding preventative health care behaviors; monitoring responses to physician-directed programs of therapy; responding independently to life-threatening situations; facilitating patient access to appropriate health care services; making tentative assessments; making tentative diagnostic and therapeutic plans in such a way that the physician can perceive the medical problems and determine appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic steps; assisting the physician by performing diagnostic and therapeutic procedures; managing various common medical problems; treating minor cuts and wounds; removing casts; and changing dressings. In addition, PAs are employed as first and second assistants in surgery, particularly in cardiovascular and orthopedic surgery.
- Please note that several of these schools do not accept transfer hours from a community college or credit by exams. The schools may require that all prerequisite work has been completed by December 31 of the year in which you apply. In addition, a required prerequisite course GPA will be in effect.
- Competitive applicants for PA school will have a 3.5 or higher grade point average
- Completion of 40 or more hours of volunteer work experience in hospitals, clinics, or private practice settings under the supervision of a MD, DO, PA, or NP is required before completing the CASPA application process.
- While the attached sheet lists the prerequisites for the individual schools in Texas, it is strongly encouraged that you contact schools that interest you if you have any questions about applying.
Advisor: Dr. Diana Flanagan
Office: FSB 453
Physician Assistant Schools in Texas
- Baylor College of Medicine
- The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
- University of North Texas
- The University of Texas Medical Branch
- Texas Tech University Health Science Center
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
The Physician Assistant prerequisites vary by school and change frequently. Students must contact each school to learn the most recent information regarding the required GPA, letters of recommendation, course prerequisites, and other admissions requirements.
|General Chemistry I & Lab||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required|
|General Chemistry II & Lab||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required|
|Organic Chemistry I & Lab||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required||or 453|
|Organic Chemistry II & Lab||Required|
|Biochemistry I||or BIO 320||or 223|
|General Biology I & Lab||Required||Required||Required|
|General Biology II & Lab||Required||Required||Required|
|Cell Biology||or 472||or 351 or 454|
|Genetics||or 454||Required||Required||Required||Required||or 312 or 454|
|Microbiology & Lab||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required|
|Human Anatomy & Lab||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required|
|Human Physiology & Lab||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required|
|Immunology||or 351||Required||Required||or 312 or 351|
|Math||109 or higher||109 or higher||109 or higher||123 or 185 or PSYC 311|
|Statistics||3 hrs||3 hrs||Recommended||3 hrs||3 hrs|
|Psychology||120||120 + 3 hrs||120||6 hrs||3 hrs||120 or 232|
|Other||3 hrs: Psychology, Sociology, or Anthropology||9 hrs: Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, or Human Development||Suggested Electives: Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Immunology, Human Sexuality, Spanish||6 hrs: Psychology or Sociology||3 hrs of PSYC Elective 232, 233, 241, or 382|
|Healthcare Experience||Strongly Encouraged||40 hrs||200 hrs||100 hrs|