- Pre-Med Program Application
- HPAC Forms
- Body & Soul Program
- Health Profession's Advisory Committee
- Chiropractic Medicine
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Physician Assistant
- Podiatric Medicine
- Contact Us
Pre-Optometry Preparation at ACU
- Optometrists are trained and state licensed to examine, diagnose, and treat eye problems. As primary-care providers, they correct and prevent visual problems by prescribing corrective lenses, contact lenses, and eye exercises. Practitioners must be able to recognize signs of ocular and visual disease, as well as being able to refer patients to appropriate specialists. As they cannot administer medication or perform eye surgery, patients whose vision problems cannot be corrected by an optometrist are referred to an ophthalmologist.
- Optometrists may specialize in working with children, the elderly, or partially sighted people who need special visual aids to improve their vision. They may concentrate on education and/or perform scientific research. Other specialized practices include contact lenses, occupational vision, pediatrics, sports vision, and vision therapy.
- Texas has two optometry schools: the University of Houston College of Optometry at the main campus of the University of Houston, and the University of the Incarnate Word School of Optometry in San Antonio (classes started Fall 2009). There are 18 other accredited schools located in the United States and Canada.
Advisor: Dr. Diana Flanagan
Office: FSB 453
Optometry Programs in Texas
- The requirements for admission into a College of Optometry are 1) completion of a baccalaureate degree prior to matriculation, 2) satisfactory completion of the Optometry Admission Test (OAT), and 3) completion of all prerequisite courses prior to enrollment.
- Prerequisite courses may not be taken on a “pass-fail” basis. A student must earn a C or better in all of these courses. If you have any questions, contact the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions of the prospective school before enrolling in your pre-optometry program. It is strongly recommended that you complete the majority of the prerequisite courses before you attempt the Optometry Admission Test.
|Course||ACU Course Code||University of Houston||University of the Incarnate Word|
8 hrs of advanced Biology (Recommended: 492/495 and 491/493)
Recommended: 492 and 491
377 or 123
3 additional hrs
6 hrs math
3 hrs stats
|Humanities||Offered through several departments||none||6 hrs|
|Behavioral and Social Sciences||Offered through several departments||none||6 hrs|