Pre-Occupational Therapy Preparation at ACU
- Occupational therapists provide services to individuals whose ability to cope with the activities of daily living are impaired by physical illness or injury, congenital or developmental disability, or the aging process. The goal of the therapist is to help their patients regain their independence and good health.
- Occupational therapists may specialize in physical rehabilitation, mental health, pediatrics, or gerontology occupational therapy. They may also specialize in specific body parts such as the hands or feet.
- Completion of an education program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education is required to become an Occupational therapist. All OT education programs include a period of supervised clinical experience.
For more information about ACU’s pre-occupational therapy programs contact:
Advisor: Dr. Joe Bell
ACU Box 28084
Abilene, TX 79699
Office: GB 229B
Occupational Therapy Programs in Texas
- Abilene Christian University
- Texas Tech University Health Science Center
- Texas Women's University
- The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
- The University of Texas at El Paso
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Admission into various occupational therapy programs generally requires a 3.0 GPA in undergraduate work as well as hours spent working under a licensed OT. The following information may be used as a guideline, but it is also very important to contact the individual schools so that you may receive from them the most up-to-date information about their required prerequisite courses, letters of recommendation, and other guidelines.
|BIOL||291/293 292/294||291/293 292/294 330||112/114 (291/293 292/294 or 491/493 and 492/495)|
|PHYS||PHYS 110 and/or EXSC 498 and/or EXSC 232 (6-8 hrs)||none||PHYS 110 or EXSC 232||none||PHYS 110 or EXSC 498 or EXSC 232|
|MATH||123 or 377||123 or 377||123 or 377||337||123 or 377|
3 hr. elective
233 (or BIOL 330)
|Medical Terminology||none||none||1 hr.||1 hr.||none|
*Must have 90 credit hrs total if no BS/BA
|Medical Terminology Certification|