- Pre-Med Program Application
- HPAC Forms
- Body & Soul Program
- Health Profession's Advisory Committee
- Chiropractic Medicine
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Physician Assistant
- Podiatric Medicine
- Contact Us
Pre-Dental Preparation at ACU
- While a minimum of 90 semester hours completed in a U.S. accredited college or university is required, the completion of a B.A. or B.S. degree is highly desirable. Students may major in any academic discipline as long as they have completed the courses required for admission. While the basic requirements are very similar, schools do vary in their liberal arts requirements.
- All dental schools require candidates to take the DAT. The computerized test may be taken on virtually any day of the year. The test is designed to measure general academic ability in Biology, General Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry, comprehension of scientific information, and perceptual ability. It is usually taken in the spring of your junior year, and no later than the summer between your junior and senior year.
Advisor: Dr. Diana Flanagan
Office: FSB 453
Dental Schools in Texas
- University of Texas Dental Branch, Houston
- University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- Baylor College of Dentistry
- Current estimated expenses for Texas residents completing four years of dental school range from $80,000 to $95,000 with non-residents ranging from $125,000 to $140,000.There are 245 seats available each year in Texas dental schools, with over 1,000 applicants applying for those seats. Baylor has admissions agreements with New Mexico and Arkansas. UTHSC and UTMB limit non-resident enrollment to ten percent or less.
- UTHSCSA has an early admissions program (DEAP) that allows ACU students meeting the program’s criteria to apply during the spring semester of their freshman year. If accepted by UTHSCA Dental School and eligibility is maintained, the student will complete 104 hours at ACU for the Health Professions Cooperative degree and then will enter dental school. After completion of the first year of dental school, the participating student will receive a Bachelor of Science Degree from ACU.
- Competitive applicants for dental school will have a grade point average of 3.5 or higher and a 20 on both sections of the DAT.
It is highly recommended that the students contact the schools for the latest information about course requirements in order for them to be met by the required time.
- Biological Sciences
- UTH requires: BIOL 355 (can be included in 14 hours)
- General Chemistry
8 hrs (CHEM 131/133, CHEM 132/134)
- Organic Chemistry
8 hrs (CHEM 223/221, CHEM 324/322)
3 hrs (CHEM 453)
8 hrs (PHYS 110/111, PHYS 112/113)
3 hrs ( BIOL 483 - recommended, MATH 123 or 377)
Suggested Biological science courses:
General Biology (8hrs.), Microbiology, Advanced Anatomy, Histology, Immunology, Cell biology, Genetics, Biochemistry I and II, Neuroscience andMolecular genetics