After a student's first semester at ACU, Body & Soul students are matched with a Christian physician/dentist to get a first-hand "day in the life" experience. This provides an excellent way for students to evaluate their career choice and identify areas of greatest interest. To participate in this opportunity requires a 3.5 GPA as well as being part of the Body & Soul Program.
Here is what Abilene Christian University Body & Soul students say about their shadowing experience:
- Heather Kregel, biology and English, pre-medical: This past semester, I shadowed an OB/GYN at a local hospital. I had not shadowed a doctor who had an office in a hospital yet, and I must say that this was my favorite shadowing experience yet. I loved the way he saw patients regularly throughout the day, but could easily rush to labor and delivery when being called. Being at the hospital, just the atmosphere of it, reminded me of why I want to be a doctor. Read more
- Kristin Goodwin, biochemistry, honors, pre-dental: Shadowing in the office of a pediatric dentist has been an amazing opportunity. I am confident the dental field is God’s calling for my life, but I am still exploring the branches within this field. Before my shadowing experience, I was aware of pediatric dentistry, but did not fully understand the specialization. The dentist I shadowed was a wonderful mentor, taking every opportunity to point out examples of unique dental circumstances when patients arrived for their appointments. Read more
- Joe Wilbanks, biochemistry, pre-medical: This semester I shadowed one of several pediatricians in a local private practice. The doctor was extremely welcoming and answered any questions that I had, whether they related to topics specific to the patients we saw or to medicine in general. Pediatrics was a completely different atmosphere for me since my past experience involved shadowing an orthopedic surgeon and volunteering in the ICU, both of which usually deal with elderly people. After the past couple of months, I have discovered that pediatrics is an atmosphere I truly enjoy. Read more
- Kate Huggins, biochemistry, pre-pharmacy: When I walked into the O.R. last Friday, I was very anxious about what I might be seeing. I was struck by the faces of the parents of the children who were waiting to go into the operating room. I marveled at some patients' unwavering courage as they were wheeled into the rooms. Finally, the lights were bright and the room was cold. I felt the cold breath of panic on my neck as the doctor entered and the patient went to sleep. I felt like a person at the base of a roller coaster they have never been on before and I buckled my seatbelt for the ride. I was overtaken in the next few minutes because I was intrigued by what I was seeing. Read more
- Brenda Daniels, biochemistry, pre-medical: Body & Soul has been a great encouragement in my journey as a pre-med student. I was able to observe several surgeries and was able to feel the atmosphere of the O.R. I tried to think of the people in there not just as healthcare providers or patients, but also as people. As for the patient, it was very interesting to see that what I was observing during the surgery was the open body of an actual person, friend or a family member. There is so much more to see than just a disease, just an organ, but a person that is here and trusting they will be cared for completely.
- Heath Fellhauer, biochemistry, pre-dental: The shadowing experience was amazing for the first time. I loved it sooooo much! Thank you so much for this opportunity, Terri. This has encouraged me to work even harder toward making the grades I need to make to get into dental school! I shadow tomorrow again from 1-5 and I can't wait to see what is in store for me!
- Shannon Rose, biology, pre-medical: Before I began shadowing, I had a firm belief that I wanted to pursue medicine as a career. As this semester has progressed, and as I have shadowed a pediatrician, my belief can be seen as a reality. The Body & Soul program has shown me that while great effort is needed to be a pre-med student, the end reward brings great satisfaction. As I followed the doctor throughout his busy work schedule of standardized check-ups and diagnoses of different illnesses, I witnessed a wisdom that is only gained through years of school and hard work. Read more
For more information about ACU's Body & Soul program contact Terri Aldriedge R.N., B.S.N., Body & Soul program director.