Body & Soul Shadowing Experiences
After a student's first semester at ACU, Body & Soul students are matched with a Christian physician/dentist to get a first-hand "day in the life" experience. This provides an excellent way for students to evaluate their career choice and identify areas of greatest interest. To participate in this opportunity requires a 3.5 GPA as well as being part of the Body & Soul Program.
See what our Body & Soul students say about their shadowing experience:
- Jamie Choe, pre-medical student: Shadowing this semester has been an incredibly eye-opening experience. Going in, I was curious to see how her principles as a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine compared to some of the other (allopathic) physicians I have shadowed in the past... More
- Lauren Peters, pre-medical student: This is my second semester as a member of the Body & Soul Program, and I can honestly say that it was even more beneficial than the first semester. I had the opportunity to shadow the same pediatric physician I shadowed last semester, Dr. Rachel Anderson... More
- Madison Harris, pre-physical therapy student: Fall semester 2014, I began the process of shadowing a variety of Physical Therapists (PT) in order to prepare for future PT Graduate schooling, as well as to gain additional insight into the field of study I have chosen for my career... More
- Megan Kriger, pre-physical therapy student: I was able to shadow a physical therapist for several weeks. During this time, I experienced the setting of a larger PT clinic with 3-5 physical therapists in one facility. This fast-paced facility allowed me to compare this setting to two past settings I have encountered with one PT and one PTA at a facility, and on a mission... More
- Jamie Choe, pre-medical student: Shadowing this semester has been a blessing in ways that I could have never expected. I have shadowed a few other physicians in the past, but none have been as openly Christian or active in medical mission as this doctor... More
- Abby Phipps, pre-medical student: This semester, I had the opportunity to shadow a pediatrician. I shadowed for about 22 hours in total, and I loved learning from the doctor and observing how he interacted with his patients as well as their parents and families. One thing that I learned about being a health professional is... More
- Brenna Martin, pre-medical student: Over the course of this semester I shadowed an orthopedic surgeon. Since I had never shadowed before, this experience was eye opening to me in various ways. Through watching the doctor interact with his patients I have seen that...More
- Evan Bridges, pre-health student: I came into this program with a basis of what shadowing was since I had done some in high school. I wanted to choose an oncologist to shadow this semester since that is the field of medicine that I am looking to go into... More
- Barrett Davidson, pre-dental student: This fall I shadowed two dentists that were in the same office. They both attended ACU. Together they have general dentistry and orthodontic practice on the south side of town. They were very welcoming and helpful to me in learning more about practicing dentistry... More
- Ali Rakestraw, pre-medical student: I was privileged to spend close to 15 hours shadowing an OB-GYN working at Abilene Regional Hospital with over 20 years of experience in the field. During this time, I learned more about the field of obstetrics and gynecology, about being a Christian professional, and about my own future pursuit in this field...More
- Travis Chura, pre-medical student: The shadowing experience I have had this semester has been nothing short of extraordinary. I had the opportunity of shadowing Dr. Trammell who is a fairly young neurosurgeon, I mean young relative to the world of practicing physicians, who has taught me what being a physician is really about. Dr. Trammell specializes in aneurysms and spinal cord decompression surgeries such as laminectomies, spinal fusions, and discectomies... More
- Aubrey White, pre-medical student: For the past two months, I was able to shadow an ENT specialist. It has been a very interesting and helpful experience. I had absolutely no familiarity with the field of otolaryngology before shadowing, so it was all very new information to me. Patients had a wide variety of different issues...More
For more information about ACU's Body & Soul program, contact Terri Aldriedge, R.N., B.S.N., Body & Soul program director.