Body & Soul Shadowing Experiences
After a student's first semester at ACU, Body & Soul students are matched with a Christian physician/dentist to get a first-hand "day in the life" experience. This provides an excellent way for students to evaluate their career choice and identify areas of greatest interest. To participate in this opportunity requires a 3.5 GPA as well as being part of the Body & Soul Program.
See what our Body & Soul students say about their shadowing experience:
- Ali Rakestraw, sophomore pre-medical student: I was privileged to spend close to 15 hours shadowing an OB-GYN working at Abilene Regional Hospital with over 20 years of experience in the field. During this time, I learned more about the field of obstetrics and gynecology, about being a Christian professional, and about my own future pursuit in this field...More
- Travis Chura, sophomore, pre-medical student: The shadowing experience I have had this semester has been nothing short of extraordinary. I had the opportunity of shadowing Dr. Trammell who is a fairly young neurosurgeon, I mean young relative to the world of practicing physicians, who has taught me what being a physician is really about. Dr. Trammell specializes in aneurysms and spinal cord decompression surgeries such as laminectomies, spinal fusions, and discectomies... More
- Jonathan Stites, pre-medical student: When I went to sign up for the doctor that I wanted to shadow, I secretly prayed that there would be a pediatrician on the list. Walking into the Body & Soul office, I slowly skimmed the list. To my astonishment, I saw the name of a pediatrician. I quickly signed up... More
- Aubrey White, pre-medical student: For the past two months, I was able to shadow an ENT specialist. It has been a very interesting and helpful experience. I had absolutely no familiarity with the field of otolaryngology before shadowing, so it was all very new information to me. Patients had a wide variety of different issues...More
- Kate Huggins, pre-pharmacy student: When I walked into the O.R. last Friday, I was very anxious about what I might be seeing. I was struck by the faces of the parents of the children who were waiting to go into the operating room. I felt like a person at the base of a roller coaster they have never been on before and I buckled my seatbelt for the ride... More
- Andrew Hester, pre-medical student: I was less than enthusiastic about shadowing a doctor. After all, I knew I wanted to be a doctor and I did not need to follow one around like a "fly on the wall" as some measly little "pre-med" student. That all changed about 10 minutes after I began shadowing... More
- Gary Duncan, pre-medical student: This semester I shadowed two orthopedic surgeons at a sports medicine clinic. The most striking thing about the experience was that I could legitimately envision myself in a few years doing what they do... More
- Kathryn Davis, pre-medical student: If I learned anything through this year’s shadowing experience, it’s that I was called to be a doctor. The ob-gyn I shadowed taught me so much about this extraordinary profession and introduced me to my future. More
- Luke Sorrell, pre-medical student: I shadowed a pediatrician. One of the most important lessons I learned from this experience is the importance of patience and self-control....This experience has definitely increased my desire to become a physician and possibly a pediatrician. More
- Taylor Johnson, pre-medical student: This semester, I followed an obstetrician/gynecologist for about a month. I’ve seen and experienced so many things, but there are a couple of moments that stand out. I remember the first time I heard a baby’s heartbeat. More
For more information about ACU's Body & Soul program, contact Terri Aldriedge, R.N., B.S.N., Body & Soul program director.