Dr. Rusty Towell
Professor of Engineering and Physics
Director of NEXT Lab at ACU
ACU Box 27963
Abilene Christian University
Abilene, TX 79699
B.S. Engineering Physics, ACU, 1990
Ph.D. Nuclear Physics, UT-Austin, Texas, 1999
Dr. Towell leads the ACU Nuclear Physics Research Group that is active in both basic and applied research. His research is focused on advanced reactor research, design, and development and on the structure of the nucleon.
Current Research Activity:
- Nuclear Energy eXperimental Testing Laboratory (NEXT Lab) at ACU
- Pioneering High Energy Nuclear Interaction eXperiment (PHENIX) at Brookhaven National Laboratory
- SeaQuest experiment at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
- Neutron Induced Fission Fragment Tracking Experiment at Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Inclusive cross section and double-helicity asymmetry for π0 production at midrapidity in p+p collisions at √s = 510 GeV
- Measurements of directed, elliptic, and triangular flow in Cu+Au collisions at √SNN = 200 GeV
- Azimuthally anisotropic emission of low-momentum direct photons in Au+Au collisions at √SNN = 200 GeV
- Scaling properties of fractional momentum loss of high-pT hadrons in nucleus-nucleus collisions at √SNN from 62.4 GeV to 2.76 TeV
- Transverse energy production and charged-particle multiplicity at midrapidity in various systems from √SNN = 7.7 to 200 GeV
- Φ meson production in the forward/backward rapidity region in Cu+Au collisions at √SNN = 200 GeV
- Forward J/ψ production in U+U collisions at √SNN = 193 GeV
- Dielectron production in Au+Au collisions at √SNN = 200 GeV
- Single electron yields from semileptonic charm and bottom hadron decays in Au+Au collisions at √SNN = 200 GeV
- Centrality-dependent modification of jet-production rates in deuteron-gold collisions at √SNN = 200 GeV
- Full Publication List.
- Towell, R.S., Adams Center Presentation, "STEM to the Rescue: How Engineering and Physics Will Save the World," Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX. (March 3, 2016).
- Towell, R., Annual Fall Meeting of the APS Division of Nuclear Physics, "Precise Nuclear Data Measurements Possible with the NIFFTE fission TPC and Applications in Reactor Designs," American Physical Society, Santa Fe, NM. (October 29, 2015)
- Towell, R. (Author & Presenter), Thorium Energy Conference, "Recent Measurements with the NIFFTE Fission TPC and the Potential to Advance Thorium Fuel, "International Thorium Energy Organization, Mumbai, India. (October 14, 2015)
- Towell, R. (Author & Presenter), TEDxACU, "Why Making Energy From Dirt Might Save The World," Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX. (April 17, 2015).
- Towell, R. (Author & Presenter), Nucleur Science Symposium, "Recent Measurements with the NIFFTE Fission TPC and the Potential to Advance Thorium Fueled Reactors," IEEE, Seattle, WA. (November 10, 2014).
- ENGR 115, Introduction to Engineering and Physics
- ENGR 116, Intro to Engr. & Physics Lab
- HON 405, Honors Colloquium: Science Can Save World
- PHYS 101, Astronomy
- PHYS 220, Engineering Physics I
- PHYS 221, Engineering Physics I Lab
- PHYS 461, Nuclear Phyics
- PHYS 499, Research
What is one Bible passage that is special to you?
Satisfy your curiosity about what it means to live and learn at ACU!
Apply to ACU