Dr. Qiang Xu
Assistant Professor of Biology
B.S. Zhejiang University, China, 1996
Originally from: Hangzhou, China
Areas of scholarship or expertise: Entomology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biotechnology.
Courses typically taught: General Biology I, General Biology II, Cell Biology, Molecular Genetics
Work of literature, art or music I would recommend: "The Language of God" by Francis S. Collins. Dr. Collins is one of the world’s most distinguished scientists. In this book, he explains that faith in God and faith in science can be harmonious.
Person who influenced my life: My grandmother, my wife and a Christian couple: John and Shannon Wigginton.
Why I do what I do: I enjoy studying and teaching biology. To me, teaching at ACU is exciting every day.
What I want to give my students: Love and care.
What I expect from my students: Work hard and play hard.
Why I am at ACU: I chose to join ACU because I always believe that education is powerful. I would like to share my experiences with students at ACU and to strengthen their faith by teaching biology.
Outside interests: I play table tennis (Ping Pong) with my colleagues at ACU. I also enjoy playing a Chinese chess game called "Go."
Personal: Married over 10years to Qi Hang.
Representative Published Works
Refereed Journal Papers
- Xu, Q., H. Wang, L. Zhang and N. Liu. 2006. Sodium channel gene expression associated with pyrethroid resistant house flies and German cockroaches. Gene 379, 62-67.
- Xu, Q., H. Wang, L. Zhang and N. Liu. 2006. Kdr allelic variation in pyrethroid resistant mosquitoes, Culex quinquefasciatus (S.). Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 345, 774-780.
- Liu, N., Q. Xu and L. Zhang. 2006. Sodium Channel Gene Expression in Mosquitoes, Aedes albopictus (S.) Insect Science 13, 431-436.
- Liu, N., F. Zhu, Q. Xu, J. W. Pridgeon and X. Gao. 2006. Behavioral change, physiological modification, and metabolic detoxification mechanisms of insecticide resistance. Acta Entomologica Sinica 48, 672-680 (invited review paper).
- Liu, N., Q. Xu, F. Zhu and L. Zhang. 2006. Pyrethroid resistance in mosquitoes. Insect Science 13, 159-166 (invited review paper).
- Xu, Q., H. Liu, L. Zhang and N. Liu. 2005. Resistance in the mosquito, Culex quinquefasciatus, and possible mechanisms for resistance. Pest. Mang. Sci. 61, 1096-1102.
- Liu, H., Q. Xu, L. Zhang and N. Liu. 2005. Chlorpyrifos Resistance in the Mosquito, Culex quinquefasciatus (S.) J. Med. Entomol. 42, 815-820.
- Xu, B., Q. Xu, Z.Wu, Y. Hua, and Z. Chen. 2004. Cloning and Expression of the receptor gene (Bt-R3) of the Bt toxic protein Cry1Ab in E. Coli. Journal of Zhejiang University (Agric. & Life Sci.), 30(3): 323-325.
- Xu, Q., Y. Hua, B. Xu and X. Liu. 2002. Antibacterial and anticancer peptides in batrachia skin secretion, Chinese Journal of Zoology, 37(2): 73-76.
- Liu, X., Y. Hua, B. Xu and Q. Xu. 2001. Advances in insect brain neuropeptide: prothoracicostatic peptide, Journal of Zhejiang University (Agric. & Life Sci.), 27(5): 479-482.
- Xu Q., H. Wang, L. Zhang and N. Liu. 2006. Posttranscriptional regulation of sodium channel gene expression is associated with insecticide resistance in insects. Resistant Pest Management Newsletter 15, 61-62.