Dr. Dan Brannan
Professor of Biology
B.S., University of New Mexico, 1975
Areas of scholarship or expertise:
- Philosophy of science, particularly the interface of science & religion
- Microbial ecology
- General biology
- Behavioral biology
Courses typically taught:
- Freshman biology
- Behavioral biology
Originally from: Los Chavez, New Mexico
Work of literature, art or music you would recommend:
- Anything by Ed Rutherford or Edward Abbey for fun reading
- Michael Ruse and Ian Barbour for more scholarly reading
- Any opera material; but particularly, the Flower Duet from Deubes’ Lakme
- I particularly like Caspar David Friedrich’s works of art but I also appreciate Rembrandt and Van Gogh
Person who influenced your life: my father and grandfather
Why you do what you do: I’m a dad and husband; I farm, garden, do genealogy, camp, backpack, cook . . . and I teach both for fun and to make a living.
What you want to give your students: A thorough preparation in biology so they can do well in upper level courses, life and on MCAT and GRE exams.
What you expect from your students: To become a true scholar of nature.
Why you are at ACU: Because it sure beats a real job in industry.
Personal: Married over 30 years to Patrice; three kids, Chris (24), Mike (20) and Julie (17).
A Sampling of Published works:
- Lee, T. E., K. R. Rhodes. J. L. Lyons, and D. K. Brannan. 2000. The natural history of the Roatan island. Agouti (Dasyprocta ruatanica), a study of behavior, diet and description of the habitat. Texas J. Science 52:159-164.
- Brannan, D. K. 2000. Control of biofilms in manufacturing plant water systems. Cosm. Toilet. 115:59-65.
- Brannan, D. K. 2000. "Cosmetic Microbiology." IN: Encyclopedia of Microbiology vol. 1, 2nd ed. pp. 887-898 (ed. Joshua Lederberg). Academic Press Inc. San Diego.
- Sutton, S.V.W., D. W. Proud, S. Rachui, and D. K. Brannan. 2002. Validation of microbial recovery from disinfectants. PDA Journal Of Pharmaceutical Science & Technology 56: 255-266.
- D. E. Caldwell, G. M Wolfaardt, D. R. Korber, S. Karthikeyan, J. R. Lawrence, and D. K. Brannan. 2002. "Cultivation of Microbial Consortia and Communities" IN Manual of Environmental Microbiology, 2nd ed. (eds. C.J. Hurst, R.L. Crawford, G.R. Knudsen, M.J. McInerney and L.D. Stetzenbach), American Society for Microbiology Press, Washington, D.C., pp. 92-100.
- Brannan, D. K. 2002. Review of Ratzsch's Battle of Beginnings. Metanexus http://www.metanexus.net/metanexus_online/show_article.asp?5238
- Brannan, D. K., C. R. Brannan, and T. E. Lee Jr. 2003. Reproductive and territorial behavioral observations of Cyprinodon elegans (Commanche Springs pupfish) in San Solomon Spring Pool, Balmorhea State Park, Balmorhea, Texas. Southwestern Naturalist 48:85-88.
- Brannan, D. K. 2003. Review of Phil Clayton's God and Contemporary Science. Metanexus www.metanexus.net
- Brannan, D. K. 2003. Confessions of an Evolutionary Biologist. Metanexus www.metanexus.net
- Brannan, D. K. 2005. Segerstrale, Defenders of the Truth: The Sociobiology Debate and Alcock, The Triumph of Sociobiology. Zygon, 40:233-236.
- Brannan, D. K. and C. Gillet. 2005. Evolutionary Explanation and the Ideal of Altruism: the Incommensurability of the Christian Love Command. European Journal of Science and Theology, 1:11-25.